An interview with Jesse Herbert on his experiences biike touring Canada (and around the world), plus a ton of great ideas, hacks and tips on all things bicycle touring, from lightening your load to braving a chilly night in a hammock.
Recorded live from Hedgesville, WV, this episode of the Pedalshift Project includes my fall tour reveal and gear tips for your fall bicycle touring. Plus banter with you… because this was live!
Are you brand new to bicycle touring or like seeing things through the eyes of a first-timer? You’re in luck! On this episode, we kick off the Pedalshift bicycle touring beginners series, following James from NYC on his journey to his first bicycle tour. Plus a backlog of connections featuring great stories from your bike tours!
The best bike touring saddles for you might not be what you expect. On this week’s pod, we tackle the tricky subject of what to choose for your seat.
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 086: The best bike touring saddles for you (mp3)
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
Pedalshift Tour Journals Vol.8: Western Penn
Available now at Pedalshift Plus!
Gear Talk: The best bike touring saddles for you
- Do I need an expensive saddle? No.
- Should I get that Brooks saddle everyone talks about? Maybe.
- Ho you sit matters… upright? down? in between? You’ll sit on different parts of the saddle, so the saddle shape matters.
- Gel saddles will probably give you saddle sores because your sit bones will slough all over. Believe it or not, firmer is better
- Speaking of chafing… my solution for saddle sores has nothing to do with the saddle.
- Saddle libraries like Gladys Bikes in PDX are great resources, but your LBS is always a good bet.
- Saddles are *very* personal choices.
- I like my Brooks, but I don’t find it to be a game changer. Stock saddles may be ok for you… if they’re adjusted right so your sit bones are on them right based on riding position.
- Resource: Cycling About on saddles
Help support the show and join the Pedalshift Society with monthly or one-shot contributions!
Mark Van Raam
And all anonymous and past contributors for helping make this show happen!
You’ve been hearing about Jason Kent and his music for many fine episodes. I got news for ya. New. Sunfields. Album. SEPTEMBER 15th. I’ve heard it. It’s top notch.