An interview with Jesse Herbert on his experiences biike touring Canada (and around the world), plus a ton of great ideas, hacks and tips on all things bicycle touring, from lightening your load to braving a chilly night in a hammock.
Recorded live from Hedgesville, WV, this episode of the Pedalshift Project includes my fall tour reveal and gear tips for your fall bicycle touring. Plus banter with you… because this was live!
Fall bike touring my favorite kind of touring… just hopping on a bike, hearing the crunch of the leaves under the tires and enjoying the cool temperatures inside a warm tent. This episode I chat about my recent mini-tours on the C&O plus my plans for a winter ride in 2017!
Hey it’s the direct download link: The Pedalshift Project 060: Fall bike touring and planning for winter (mp3)
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at email@example.com or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
The Journal: Fall bike touring and more
Fall C&O weekenders
- May try to wedge in one more through ride if I can pull it off
- Did a wet ride this past weekend… really enjoyed the quiet trail and using the rain gear. When it’s a choice rather than having it foisted upon you, touring in the rain is great.
- Want to see if I can get Belle Starr out there, but need it to be bone dry (i.e. no hurricanes like last weekend)
- C&O Water Followup
- Had a chat with a trail ranger a few weeks ago on the rumor we heard about the Park Service not treating the water pumps at the campsites anymore.
- This was news to the volunteer and he was skeptical of the rumor. Dehydration on the trail is a costly issue for the Park Service requiring remote rescues that are pretty pricey.
- In fact the ranger let me know that
- (a) they are required to carry substantial amounts of extra water on patrol and even more interesting,
- (b) there are secret caches of drinking water the Park Service has out for emergencies.
- To be continued, but this makes me think it’s more likely the treatment would change before they would cease well treatment altogether.
- I hope to be able to pull off a longer tour next year, but just in case things break differently I’d like to add another week-long tour to the mix… so I’m considering a winter tour.
- January or February week long ride south enough to be warm enough
- I like the idea of segmenting the Atlantic route, but I’m not liking the infrastructure in a lot of the east. Florida from Fort Lauderdale to Jacksonville is one possibility and then segmenting the remaining portions north and south of DC in the spring, summer and fall.
- The one that seems more interesting to me is a desert ride that would be 1 week of the Southern Tier route from San Diego up and over the mountains and across the desert basins to Phoenix. I’d look to complete the remainder of the southern tier in the spring and fall.
- Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
Runner turned cyclist
Getting back in the game
A big thank you to all of the monthly supporters of the show! If you like what you hear, you can help me keep the show listener-supported while expanding the offerings. A buck, two bucks or even 5 helps with the costs of hosting the podcast and the website, plus the Pedalshift Society allows me to do cool new things I’ll be rolling out in future shows. AND brand new by popular request… one-shot annual support and “choose your own adventure” one shot support if you’re not into the small monthly thing. Check it out and join at pedalshift.net/society. On to the Society!
- Ethan Georgi
- Matt Buker
- Kimberly Wilson
- Caleb Jenkinson
- Cameron Lien
- Andrew MacGregor
- Michael Hart
- Johnny K
- Josiah Matthews
- Keith Nagel
- Brock Dittus
- David Kolb
- Michael Riscica
- Seth Krieger
- Marco Lo
- Terrance Manson
Thank you for supporting the show!
The Pedalshift Project theme is America courtesy of Jason Kent off his self-titled solo album. Check out his band Sunfields‘ album, Habitat, wherever cool music resides. I heard Jason’s new album in January and it is AWESOME. More info when that drops!