Eating while bike touring is one of the most fun parts of the adventure. On this episode of the pod, we feature tips and ideas on bicycle tour food whether you cook or not!
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 099: Bicycle tour food (mp3)
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at email@example.com or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
The march to Pedalshift 100
We’re doing a joint meet up slash holiday spectacular live and in person. Friday 12/1 7pm at Beermongers and SE Division and 12th in Portland, OR! Details also here.
Live stream of the event for everyone not able to make it starts at 8pm PT right on the front page of pedalshift.net, so come say hi!
The Lab: Bicycle Tour Food
Good intentions tend to go out the window because of:
- lack of availability of healthy foods, plus
- Caloric needs, plus
- Shifting palette
Touring without cooking?
- Carry snacks that you like, but try to be diverse.
- Nuts are arguably the best bang for the buck in terms of calorie to weight/bulk
- Jerky is probably next up
- Sugary stuff is always high calorie to weight, but be mindful on how your body burns it
Grocery store strategies
- If you’re rolling through a town with a store and you’re close to camp, focus on things you can’t otherwise get:
- fresh veggies
- salad mixes
- hot or cold prepared foods
- Always have a meal on you
- Whether you cook or not, you should always have something on you that serves as a meal of some kind, just in case plans change and you don’t make it to your planned endpoint (presumably with food).
- Noncookers – tortillas and PB; tuna packets; bars
- Cookers – dehydrated potatoes; pasta or rice packets
- Either way – canned soup or pasta (eat from the can cold if need be)
Easy campsite meal ideas
- Canadian/American Thanksgiving
- Baked Sweet potatoes (add butter, walnuts, spices)
- Cheesy wraps (rice, beans, cheese)
- Not proud of this, but DELICIOUS: Jerky in peanut butter
- Making jerky without a dehydrator
- Dehydrating foods WITH a dehydrator (covering all the bases, it seems!)
- Freezer bag cooking (helpful for Thanksgiving meal idea)
- Eating more plant-based on tour
Help support the show and join the Pedalshift Society with monthly or one-shot contributions!
Mark Van Raam
And all anonymous and past contributors for helping make this show happen!
You’ve been hearing about Jason Kent and his music for many fine episodes. I got news for ya. New. Sunfields. Album. Is. Out. I’ve heard it. It’s top notch. Go get it.