The Great Allegheny Passage 2019… What’s in store for the trail? Allegheny Trail Alliance’s Doug Riegner returns to the pod with the full scoop on the GAP!
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 149: Bicycling the Great Allegheny Passage 2019 (mp3).
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at email@example.com or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
Special thanks to CycleBlaze for sponsoring this episode of the show!
XFL Tour: I’ll be rolling my own route across central Florida from Tampa on the gulf coast to Cocoa Beach on the east. Preview episode drops in two weeks!
Podcast sponsor slots are available starting in the new year… check out pedalshift.net/sponsor for more info.
Meetups & Live Shows
Tyson’s REI on 1/22, 6:30-8:30pm
- XFL Orlando meetup Saturday 2/9, time TBA – pedalshift.net/orlando.
- Pedalshift LIVE Friday February 22 at 9pm ET! It will be the wrap up show for the XFL tour… takeways and a whole lot more. We’ll do another AMA session too, so send me your bike touring or non-bike touring questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or come and ask in the chat box the night of.
The Interview: Doug Reigner on the Great Allegheny Passage 2019
- In your best elevator pitch, what’s the Allegheny Trail Alliance and what is it doing to make bike touring in the region better?
- 2018 was a challenging year for weather on the trails – what’s the status of the tunnels and trail conditions as we head into the off season?
- There were some rumors that Ohiopyle was going to get a hiker/biker campsite at trail level – were those rumors true and is there any new info on that? Any other news on camping options on the GAP midtrail down to Cumberland?
- You’ve mentioned on some of the forums that the C&O is getting some resurfacing work done – do you know if NPS sticking to its guns on the historic nature of the towpath surface, or are they making some exceptions (like Big Slackwater’s concrete surface)?
- We like crazy stunts in addition to tours around here – marathon through-riding of the CO/GAP is definitely one! How much of a thing is it?
- It feels like there’s been a real growth in numbers in bike touring traffic the last few years. Does ATA have any data on that?
- What’s your go-to order at Yough Twister?
- We’re a solid few days into 2019. What’s the thing you’re most looking forward to on the GAP this year?
As always we like to close out the show with a special shoutout to the Pedalshift Society! Because of support from listeners like you, Pedalshift is a weekly bicycle touring podcast with a global community, expanding into live shows and covering new tours like my upcoming XFL trip this winter! If you like what you hear, you can support the show for 5 bucks, 2 bucks or even a buck a month. And there’s one-shot and annual options if you’re not into the small monthly thing. Check it all out at pedalshift.net/society.
Mark Van Raam
You’ve been hearing about Jason Kent and his music for many fine episodes. Their latest album may be their best yet. Go get it.