The episode I hope nobody needs to use… emergency fixes if you run into serious mechanicals or sudden cold snaps on your next bike tour.
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 185: Emergency Fixes (mp3).
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109
Coming in December… Saturday 12/7 3pm EST!
What are you thankful for?
The annual Thanksgiving show drops in a few weeks and there’s still time to get your input into the show. What are YOU thankful about in the realm of bike touring? Call the Pedalshift voicemail and add your voice to things… take a minute and tell everyone what you’re thankful for. Be anonymous if you’d like… also email in your thoughts or hit social media with them.
The Lab: Emergency Fixes
- See prior episodes 046 and 087 for other tips
- Dealing with a busted rack – metal splint plus zip ties… hose clamps if you got em
3. Temp drop? Layer up with newspaper or anything else you have on hand in between your layers. (H/T CCC)
4. Scotchcast or fiberfix – 3M casting tape … you can get it at hardware, vet hospital or even emergency health center. Listener carries 1 roll and a bag with some cut pieces you can fix rim cracks and tent poles and many more issues they are lite just need warm water and dry in minutes why be stranded it can be bought around $5 to $10 this is a waterproof seal and strong as steel i keep seeing the same thing over and over rim crack no issue fix in minutes and finish the tour
5. Lost a bolt? Rack bolts shear off? Check out the rest of your bike to cannabalize something that’s less important. Water bottle rack bolts usually are the same size as rack ones! (H/T CCC)
6. Duct tape and zip ties can McGuyver your way through a lot.
As always we like to close out the show with a special shoutout to the Pedalshift Society! Because of support from listeners like you, Pedalshift is a weekly bicycle touring podcast with a global community, expanding into live shows and covering new tours like this spring’s DC to Cincinnatti bike tour! If you like what you hear, you can support the show for 5 bucks, 2 bucks or even a buck a month. And there’s one-shot and annual options if you’re not into the small monthly thing. Check it all out at pedalshift.net/society.
Mark Van Raam