Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 108: Preparing to Bicycle Puget Sound by Brompton (mp3)
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
Live Baby Live
The Journal – preparing to Bicycle Puget Sound by Brompton
- Early March in Washington state… what could go wrong?
- Will pull the plug on this if there’s a coastal storm, but not if there’s normal rain
- DC to Potlatch SP by crazy ass transit (bike to plane to light rail to ferry to bus to bus to bike)
- Hooking up with a modified Pacific Coast route from there:
- Lake Sylvia SP
- Bay Center (either the KOA or Pioneer County Park)
- Then bus to PDX!
- sleeping bag
- pump (on frame)
- spare tube
- multitool (in bike)
- Cook kit and esbit stove w/lighter
- VIA coffee
- Bandannas x3
- Camp towel
- Wool sweater
- Puffer vest
- Rain jacket and hood
- New rain pants
- LS shirts x2
- Rain gloves
- underwear x2
- socks x2 (smart wool and waterproof)
- toiletry bag (incl. ibuprofin, caffeine and electrolyte pills)
- hat (SU cold hat plus sonics cap)
- batteries and cable
- Headphones (wired buds, Bluetooth, noise cancels)
- water bottles x3
- Locks x2 (Otto and folder)
Adds if possible (in order of priority)
- Sleep clothes
- Spare pants
- Flip Flops or sandals
- Faux Pro
- Good stove in case I can find fuel
- Brompton with stealth cover
- Front shoulder bag pannier – load up with quick need things like water bottle, hat, locks, wallet, lights, tube on top. Fill with pad etc on bottom.
- Backpack, hung from saddle dowel
- Both bags have rain covers but aren’t themselves waterproof. I will likely use the backpacker trick of a trash compactor bag inside the pack to give some redundant waterproofing.
- My tent has two great vestibules. I’ll plan on the folded Brompton being on one side, wet gear on the other.
My Touring Brompton Build
Help support the show and join the Pedalshift Society with monthly or one-shot contributions!
Mark Van Raam
And all anonymous and past contributors for helping make this show happen!
You’ve been hearing about Jason Kent and his music for many fine episodes. Their latest album may be their best yet. Go get it.