The Bicycle Touring Beginners Series continues with a focus on training and route planning for bicycle touring! Plus a review of WQED’s The Great Ride, a new documentary on bicycle touring the C&O Towpath and Great Allegheny Passage.
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 158: Training and Route Planning for Bicycle Touring Beginners (mp3).
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
Review of The Great Ride
- Nice overview of the C&O and the GAP.
- Loved seeing familiar faces (Doug Riegner was featured)
- Each section featured different group of narrators, from a veteran couple to a Black Girls Do Bike group, to a photographer and more. Different POVs, even different bikes.
- Nice dose of history
- Stunning shots. Really nicely done!
- Would love to see this be successful and encourage other public tv stations to get behind similar docs on the Katy Trail, the OTET, the Cowboy Trail and more
Beginners Series: Training and Route Planning for Bicycle Touring
Train like hell vs. Ride your way to touring shape vs. Somewhere in the middle
Hill work is important for your tour. Any of those around Fort Collins?
Take a cue from marathon runner training – they never run a full marathon to train for a marathon
Know your body
Build your own
Online journals (CycleBlaze, etc.)
Ride With GPS
Strava heat maps
As always we like to close out the show with a special shoutout to the Pedalshift Society! Because of support from listeners like you, Pedalshift is a weekly bicycle touring podcast with a global community, expanding into live shows and covering new tours like this winter’s Cross-Florida bike tour! If you like what you hear, you can support the show for 5 bucks, 2 bucks or even a buck a month. And there’s one-shot and annual options if you’re not into the small monthly thing. Check it all out at pedalshift.net/society.
You’ve been hearing about Jason Kent and his music for many fine episodes. Their latest album may be their best yet. Go get it.