The podcast version of the most recent Pedalshift Live, featuring the Cross-Florida bike tour wrap up… takeaways, highlights, and answers to your questions about using Google Maps for bike tour planning, what it’s like touring on a Brompton and more.
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 156: Cross-Florida Bike Tour Wrap-Up (mp3).
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
Pedalshift Live: Cross-Florida Bike Tour Takeaways
Tampa, FL to Cocoa Beach, FL
Check out the full route at Ride with GPS
- Florida is a good bike touring state (trails are intriguing but roads were pretty good!)
- Three days across Central Florida is about right but you could do it in two
- The rural parts were the best even though there were no shoulders
- Use sunscreen and cover up
- I get the no-camping tour thing
- February in Florida is an antidote to winter
- You will never be lonely riding a Brompton
- I ride better with minimal breaks
- A dose of nostalgia is a good thing
- If you want to preserve memories on tour – shoot a lot of video… take a lot of pictures… maybe even record your thoughts. But stay in the moment.
- Huge shouts to the meetup folks! Greg, Kenny and our boy Big Rick at the bar.
As always we like to close out the show with a special shoutout to the Pedalshift Society! Because of support from listeners like you, Pedalshift is a weekly bicycle touring podcast with a global community, expanding into live shows and covering new tours like this winter’s Cross-Florida bike tour! If you like what you hear, you can support the show for 5 bucks, 2 bucks or even a buck a month. And there’s one-shot and annual options if you’re not into the small monthly thing. Check it all out at pedalshift.net/society.
You’ve been hearing about Jason Kent and his music for many fine episodes. Their latest album may be their best yet. Go get it.