We kick off 2015 with updates on upcoming tours, stories of past tours (complete with yetis from Cape Cod) and experimenting with dehydration… no not the bad kind, the good kind!
Sorry for the jingles and jangles you might hear in the background… it was a full on zoo within the Pedalshift recording studio since we were rocking temps in the low teens in DC at the time of the recording. For the record, it was Jackson the Cat who disrupted things the most. Louis the Pug will make an appearance in episode 012 in two weeks for the bike touring story, Louis the Pug Bike Touring Experiment #1 of 1.
Lake Ontario circumnavigation update
Crazy Guy on a Bike featured journal
- Met Jesse on the Border to Border ride… cool guy, lots of interesting perspectives on touring. He put together one hell of a ride last year.
- Trans America to Pacific Coast… Yorktown, VA to San Diego, CA
- Never saw the Pacific til this tour
- Carpenter by trade
- Saved up for the ride for about a year before leaving a year to the day he came up with it
- Rocked orange Ortlieb panniers (an excellent choice… mine too)
- Pack list is really excellent… check it out. (my favorites: flask and cigar cutter)
- Apples – super easy. 1/4″ thick (5-6 mm for metric types). Wouldn’t bother treating the apples as some recipes suggest… They barely brown.
- Clementines – amazing. Almost like candy, with the added bn fit of some fiber. 1/4″ thick (5-6 mm for metric types)
- Kale chips – olive oil, Montreal steak seasoning, nutritional yeast. Insanely good.
- Jerky! Much better than my toaster oven variety because it uses ground meat. Because it also includes jerky cure the end product keeps better.
- Future tests
- Fruit leather
- Grapes to raisins
Ultralight campers for bike touring? – Pedalshift on Facebook
Instagram follower Jim Giddens loves the podcast!
Instagram follower Ethan Georgi liked the Border to Border story and my enthusiasm – thank you!