On this holiday week where we in the States offer gratitude for all that is good, let’s take the time to say “thanks bicycle touring” for all it gives us. We also revisit tire inflation and chat leather saddle care. A bounty for your holiday week!
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at email@example.com or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
Thanks bicycle touring
- Nerding out
- Having the physical ability to do it
Revisiting tire inflation
- See PSP 019 for the initial talk (including a tire pressure calculator)
- Laziness led to a nicer ride on the C+O: turns out a really “under inflated” tire on certain surfaces can be better than what you’d roll on asphalt
- MJ finding the same in Patagonia – “just above pinch flat pressure”
- For wider tires, softer seems to be better on trails and gravel.
Leather saddle care
- My first Brooks saddle has me wanting to protect it!
- Wet leather can make the saddle fail
- Many (most?) use Brooks Proofide to treat the leather and swear by it (some dissenters, especially in hotter climates)
- One extreme: protect against any and all moisture… cover it even while riding in rain!
- Other extreme: my saddle has never been covered and it’s 15 years old and fine.
- I like the middle… cover at night to avoid rain and dew. Proofide 1-2x per year.
Five star reviews!
Thanks to all the reviewers! You rock!
The Pedalshift Project theme is America courtesy of Jason Kent off his self-titled solo album. Check out his band Sunfields‘ latest release, Habitat, wherever cool music resides. And a little birdy tells me Jason’s recording some new music. More when I know…